Sunday 29 April 2012

By Terry Aqualip Jelly Tint 101 Dancefloor Flirt

Here's the newly released By Terry Aquachic collection for summer.

The By Terry website has a few video tutorials showcasing this collection that are well worth checking out.

My eye was immediately drawn to the fluorescent orange Aqualip Jelly Tint 101 Dancefloor Flirt (€25/£22/US$35). Described as being between a temporary tattoo and a color infusion, it is supposed to be hydrating with a barely there feel.


In the tube, it looks similar to Tangerine Tango which is Pantone's Color of the Year for 2012 as showcased in this collaboration with Sephora. However, it actually applies as a wash of translucent pink, like how it looks on the plastic part of the wand applicator.

I found the Aqualip Jelly Tint to be easy to apply and layer without any obvious streaks or feathering into the lip lines. The pink tint builds up nicely from the first layer. I found it easier to achieve an even application than Stila's Lip & Cheek Stains in Acai Crush. The shade should suit a wide variety of skin tones. It's not really a your-lips-but-better shade for me, as it is much pinker than my natural lip color, but it is a nice color for everyday wear. After it sets, it does not rub off at all when I press my fingertip to my lip.

It did not feel overtly drying or sticky on my lips, but I still prefer to layer either lip balm or a gloss on top for a more comfortable feeling, as my lips are prone to dryness. Below are comparison swatches with Benefit Benetint and Stila Acai Crush. The Benetint is very watery and spread out spontaneously on my skin unlike the Aqualip Jelly Tint and Acai Crush.

In terms of color payoff, Aqualip Jelly Tint is slightly more intense than Benetint but not as intense as Acai Crush. It is pricey but you do get a fairly generous amount of product (7ml), versus 2.4ml for Acai Crush and 12ml for Benetint. I think this would work well for a day out at the beach or a workout when you don't want to wear lipgloss or lipstick but still want some color on your lips, that will last through a swim.

List of ingredients.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this shade! Does it have a scent/taste?

Haru said...

hi,
There's no discernible scent or taste to me.