Saturday 1 May 2010

Operation Use It Up!

Managed to finish another slew of products recently so I'll review them quickly before sending the containers for recycling.

1. Steam Cream: I finished my first Steam Cream that I purchased in Tokyo! At just 75ml, this can did not last very long as I was using it as a body moisturiser. The skin on my legs have become much dryer as I get into my 30s. The Steam Cream absorbs easily and keeps my skin well hydrated without stickiness. While the texture was divine perfection in the dry and cold climate of Tokyo back in early April, but in Singapore's hot and humid weather, the Steam Cream does leave a discernible layer on my skin. It's not as heavy as Body Shop Body Butter but it is definitely more emollient than Body Shop Body Puree.

2. Sala Shiny Arrange Wax: Both my mother and I loved this as it helps to keep our hair neat without any crackly stiffness. The light wax is very easy to work with when mixed with a bit of water. Sala is a drugstore haircare brand by Kanebo. The Sala hair wax line has been revamped since I purchased this so this version is no longer available but you can probably find a very similar product to this in the current line-up.

3. Sala Repair Hair Pack: I brought this along on my Hawaii & Tokyo trip to use as a daily conditioner. It helped to keep my hair soft and manageable without any buildup. This has also been revamped since I purchased it.

4. Jill Stuart Sugar Body Scrub: I purchased this as part of the Bath & Body Collection from last November. I find that the sugar melts too fast so you get less than a minute of really good and thorough scrubbing action. The 60g pot lasted only about six uses for me. The floral scent was a tad too sweet and tweeny for my liking.

5. Kiehl's Blue Astringent Herbal Lotion: This helps to dry out blemishes effectively so I use this when I get breakouts, especially on my forehead and cheeks. It is too astringent to use twice a day, so I only use this when I need to treat acne.

6. Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Nourishing Shampoo: This is formulated with olive fruit oil, avocado oil and lemon extract to restore shine and softness to dry, damaged hair. It cleansed quite effectively and rinsed off easily without stripping or leaving my hair in a tangled mess although I still need to follow up with a conditioner.

7. City Girl Nail Polish Remover: Just a cheapo $2 nail polish remover. It worked alright but wasn't particularly outstanding. I can't even remember where I bought this!

8. Body Shop Spa Wisdom Polynesia Lotus & Frangipani Flower Body Puree: This is perfect for Singapore's humid climate as it absorbs quickly into the skin without any greasiness at all. The scent is quite light and not too sweet, generic or cloying.

9. Body Shop Spa Wisdom Polynesia Lime & Coconut Shower Gel: This contains small scrubby bits to help exfoliate the skin. It cleanses well and doesn't strip my skin. I can't really smell the lime note in this though.

10. Shu Uemura White Recover EX+ Brightening Cleansing Oil: Very effective at removing makeup including waterproof mascara but I did not notice any significant whitening or brightening effect.

11. I Nuovi Purify Skin Cleansing Gel: The clear gel has an almost jelly-like texture. This cleanses well and gently without stripping the skin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post, gives me the idea that I should post my empties too! Thanks for the reviews. Aw, too bad the Shu oil cleanser didn't brighten the skin as it promised. It's really expensive too :\

Pearl said...

Hi,
For blemish breakout, Try Izu awakening cream at True colors in Ngee Ann city B1. Use it along with Kiehls blemish serum and Blue moisturiser for day. Amazing results never before for me.

Pearl said...

Hi, try Izu awakening cream at available at true colors. I walked into the store couple times and the MU could recognise me even though I used to go in with full makeup. I had bad breakout (uncontrollable) and acne scars were daunting on me then. She asked me what happened to my face and told me I must try this cream. I bought it out of desperation despite the hefty price of $165. Use it along with Kiehls blemish serum, Blue moisturiser during day and awakening cream during night. I get really amazing result. Face was really matt and calm when I wake up in the morning.

Haru said...

hey innerchild,
Actually the Shu cleansing oil is not that expensive when you compare it to Fancl in terms of per unit price. In Singapore, Shu c/o costs S$138 for 450ml while Fancl MIild C/O is $33 for 120ml.

The price comparison for Japan:
Shu C/O 150ml 2940yen and 450ml 7875yen

Fancl MCO 120ml 1785yen

hi Pearl,
Thanks for the recommendation. I have used Kiehls Blue moisturiser before and it tends to sit on top of my skin. I also have the Kiehls Acne Blemish Control Skin Clearing Treatment but it did not work that well for me.