Tuesday 4 May 2010

Inside my Makeup Case

A reader asked for a post on the current contents of my makeup case so here it is :-) I am currently using a Paul & Joe makeup case that I purchased at the DFS in Honolulu. As you can see, it's a tad small for me and already overflowing! At some point, I'll probably return to using my Tsumori Chisato for Shu Uemura traincase which is roomier.

My daily makeup routine usually takes about 15 minutes. I start with prepping my skin first with a serum or makeup base, then eyeshadow primer, followed by eyeshadow and then foundation and concealer. I always do foundation after eyeshadow in case there is any fall out on my cheeks that I need to clean up. Then I curl my lashes and apply eyeliner followed by mascara. Next, I do my brows and blush before finishing off with loose powder or highlighter.

This is the basic set of brushes that I use every day. Unless you are a professional makeup artist, you really do not need to invest in a dazzling array of makeup brushes. The basics are really just an eyeliner brush, a couple of eyeshadow blending brushes, blush brush and face powder brush.

Below are the mascaras that I currently have in rotation, plus Dior Skinflash and a Chanel Glossimer. Dior Skinflash is like YSL Touche Eclat, namely to illuminate the under eye area. It does not provide full coverage of under eye circles though.

Samples of Lancome Blank Expert Anti-Dark Circles Eye Serum, Diorsnow Sublissime Whitening Liquid Foundation, Capture Totale Refining Base.

Various base and colour makeup items.

Paul & Joe eyebrow pencil duo and Urban Decay and MAC eyeliner pencils.

I also keep a small LeSportsac pouch in my bag with a Cath Kidston mirror (from the recent Spring 2010 mook), lip products and fragrance vials for touch-ups on the go.

I have been using Stila Jewel Lipglaze in Amethyst almost exclusively over the past few days. As the name suggests, this is intensely sparkly and glossy. It does tend to bleed and is a tad drying but the colour is just too pretty either on its own or layered over a lipstick.

I purchased it as part of a trio of Jewel lipglazes from the Escentials boutique in Tangs Orchard. The set retails for S$75, which is quite a steal considering that Stila lipglazes usually retail for around S$38 individually. When the SA told me she had only one set left, I said without hesitation that I would take it! It's a real pity that Stila is not promoted more in Singapore and new products are just launched quietly at the counter without any publicity.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Hi Haru,

Can you share what eyeshadow brushes you use? And which ones would you highly recommend?

Thanks.

Haru said...

hi Hannah,

I did an earlier post on my brush collection here:
http://rougedeluxe.blogspot.com/2009/07/brushes.html

For eyeshadow, I like MAC #228 mini shader brush, #213 eyeshadow brush and #226 blender brush. #226 was limited edition and is basically a tighter and denser version of #224.

Hannah said...

Thanks for pasting the link here. Really appreciate that!